Paris Preview: C40 Events & Activities During COP21
The highly anticipated international climate negotiations – or COP21 – are underway this week in Paris. C40 mayors from around the world are on their way to Paris to share the story of successful city climate action with the international community, and add to the growing momentum supporting global climate action.
C40 will be on the ground throughout COP21, and we’ve got several exciting events planned with our partners. Take a look at the links below, and be sure to stay tuned for updates by following @c40cities on Twitter and checking our C40 blog.
• On December 3, we will announce winners of the 3rd annual C40 Cities Awards at a ceremony in Paris honoring leaders in urban sustainability. This year, we received 216 applications from 94 cities around the world, making the 2015 C40 Cities Awards a truly global competition. The Awards Ceremony will feature Rio de Janeiro Mayor and C40 Chair Eduardo Paes, C40 Board President Michael R. Bloomberg, former President of Mexico & Chair of the Global Commission Felipe Calderón and Chairman & President BYD Chuanfu Wang. For more information, click here.
• The C40 Forum will take place on December 4 as part of the Climate Summit for Local Leaders, hosted at Paris City Hall by Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo and U.N. Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Cities & Climate Change Michael R. Bloomberg. The Forum will bring together more than 40 C40 Mayors, senior city officials, policy-makers and influential thinkers and a series of discussions and presentations by and between C40 Mayors, on city-driven climate actions (as detailed in the recently-released Climate Action in Megacities 3.0 report) and the success of the C40 network model. For more information, click here.
• On December 5, C40 and partner Realdania will host Compact of Mayors: Tools and Experience from First-Mover Cities and National Agencies in the Global Response to Climate Change in the Espace Generations Climat at Le Bourget. More information here.
• C40 and UCLG Women will host an event on December 6 called Empowered Women: the Foundations for Resilient Cities at Paris City Hall. More information here.
• C40 has partnered with the Yale Climate Change Dialogue for an event at the Blue Zone of Le Bourget on December 7. The event is called Energizing Climate Action Through Broader Engagement And City-Scale Climate Finance – more information here.
• On December 8, C40 and Arup will host Opportunity for Action – What’s next for cities? at the Espace Generations Climat at Le Bourget. The event will explore new research that sets out where cities go from Paris into 2016 and beyond. More information here.
For more information on city climate action, explore our recent Climate Action in Megacities 3.0 report, which shows that cities have taken 10,000 climate actions since the last major COP in Copenhagen.
Photocredit: J Ahrndt