C40 Makes a Splash During Climate Week
During Climate Week NYC, C40 garnered major media coverage around our activities and announcements, and we thought we’d share some highlights.
Cities were a major player during the UN Secretary General’s Climate Summit on Tuesday of Climate Week, where C40 and partners announced Compact of Mayors and released new data on both the emissions reductions global cities have already committed to and what cities could potentially achieve if they pursued even more aggressive reductions targets. Interesting news!
Here are some highlights from those announcements:
- Cities are lapping countries on climate action (Grist)
- We should pay more attention to what cities are doing about climate change (Vox)
- Cities set the pace on climate change (Washington Examiner)
- Climate Change Will Be Solved in Cities--Or Not at All (Scientific American)
- Climate Change Threat: As Global Leaders Stall, Cities Move To Cut Emissions, Boost Efficiency (International Business Times)
- Cutting Carbon City By City Could Have A Huge Impact On Climate Change (Think Progress)
To kick off Climate Week before the Summit, C40 chair Mayor Paes co-authored an opinion editorial in the Huffington Post with Mayor Hidalgo of Paris and Mayor Won-soon of Seoul, focused on how cities can be key partners and collaborate with nations to effectively fight climate change.
But Mayor Paes wasn’t the only one at C40 to contribute to the conversation – C40 Executive Director Mark Watts authored an opinion piece in the New York Times about how cities can help offer inspiration (and add pressure) to national governments as we look ahead as a global community to the Paris climate talks in 2015.
And our Director of Research, Measurement & Planning, Seth Schultz, was quoted extensively in a Mashable story prior to Climate Week.
Much of the regional coverage in C40 cities was focused in cities that won awards during the City Climate Leadership Awards ceremony, which we hosted with Siemens (see pictures of the event here). The Guardian also wrote a thoughtful piece about Mayor Paes and the awards.
Finally, on Monday and Tuesday of Climate Week, C40 collaborated with Clear Channel Outdoor to bring megacities to the mega-screens in Times Square. The campaign was featured on MarketWatch.
For more information, please check out our C40 in the News page here.