Meet the Mayors
C40 participating and affiliate megacities hail from 35 countries across the globe - all are committed to implementing meaningful and sustainable climate-related actions locally that will help address climate change globally. Mayors from this action-oriented network, including C40 Chairman, New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, will soon be travelling to Sao Paulo for the fourth biennial C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group Mayors Summit, May 30 – June 2. The event gives cities the opportunity to share successes – and failures; to strengthen and forge networks around common challenges; and to look ahead. Leaders will present groundbreaking projects they have implemented to combat climate change through improved energy efficiency, modernizing transportation networks, and reducing waste, to name just a few.
The Summit will be hosted iby Mayor Gilberto Kassab of Sao Paulo, Brazil. To date, over 15 mayors are attending, including the mayors of Amsterdam, Melbourne, New York, Portland, Sao Paulo and Sydney:
- Mayor Kuma Demeksa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia;
- Mayor Eberhard van der Laan, Amsterdam, Netherlands;
- Mayor Giorgos Kaminis, Athens, Greece;
- Mauricio Macri, Buenos Aires, Argentina;
- Lord Mayor Frank Jensen, Copenhagen, Denmark;
- Mayor Luciano Ducci, Curitiba, Brazil;
- Mayor Sadeque Khoka, Dhaka, Bangladesh;
- Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Delhi, India;
- Lord Mayor Eckart Würzner, Heidelberg, Germany;
- Secretary for the Environment, Edward Yau, Hong Kong, Hong Kong,
- Mayor Robert Doyle, Melbourne, Australia;
- Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, New York, USA;
- Mayor Sam Adams, Portland, USA;
- Mayor Eduardo Paes, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
- Intendente Fernando Echeverría, Santiago, Chile;
- Mayor Gilberto Kassab, Sao Paulo, Brazil;
- Lord Mayor Clover Moore, Sydney, Australia.
As the Summit draws near, be sure to check back with C40 Live to get the latest and greatest on event happenings and the mayors and other leaders who are attending.