2020 and 2019
The Women4Climate Tech Challenge was an international contest open to creative, women-led tech climate solutions in C40 cities, supported by Velux Group.
Launched in 2019 at the C40 World Mayors Summit in Copenhagen, the winners of the first edition were:
- Elodie Grimoin from Paris, whose “Urban Canopee” deploys plant canopies in cities to combat the impacts of climate change. The canopies reduce urban heat and air pollution and promote biodiversity, creating greener, healthier communities.
- Inna Braverman from Tel Aviv-Yafo impressed with the “Eco Wave Power”, which extracts energy from ocean waves to generate efficient, renewable, and emission-free electricity. Using uniquely shaped buoys, it harnesses wave energy to spin a hydro motor, generating power for the grid.
In the second edition of the Tech Challenge, which took place in 2020 and featured a live pitching session, the winners included:
- Lorena Gordillo Dagallier from Cambridge successfully pitched her initiative “open-seneca”- a mobile air quality sensor network that will be installed throughout the city alongside educational workshops.
- Anai Green from Tel Aviv-Yafo impressed the judging panel with her innovative fabric “Lumiweave” which offers a shade function at the same time as permitting light.
Meiling Gao and Vivian Bi from California, who jointly won with their initiative “Clarity”, a smart, indoor-outdoor low-cost air monitoring system that provides real-time air quality data.
C40 Annual Women4Climate Conference
2019, 2018 and 2017
The C40 Annual Women4Climate Conference was a dynamic gathering of C40 mayors, industry leaders, women innovators and climate activists, which showcased and celebrated the leadership of women in climate action.
2017: Inaugural Women4Climate Conference, New York City
- Women mayors and business leaders gathered in NYC, committing to tackle climate breakdown.
- Influential leaders from Paris, Mexico City, Durban, Cape Town, and Caracas pledged support.
- Hosted by C40 Chair and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, it marked the birth of the C40 Women4Climate initiative.
2018: Second Annual Women4Climate Conference, Mexico City
- Global mayors, business leaders, and innovators converged in Mexico City.
- The programme emphasised women’s pivotal role in creating a greener and economically prosperous urban future.
- Through talks and engaging presentations, speakers showcased innovative ideas and urban projects from C40 Women4Climate Mentorship Programme participants.
2019: Third Annual Women4Climate Conference, Paris
- Global mayors, business leaders, and change-makers gathered to showcase women’s leadership in climate action.
- The programme featured mentees from the Women4Climate mentorship initiative and finalists of the 2019 Tech Challenge.
- Through talks, the event highlighted women at the forefront of driving innovative climate solutions.