On Monday, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) announced the first round of speakers headlining this year’s C40 Mayors Summit 2016. The biannual C40 Mayors Summit is the world’s foremost gathering of political, business and intellectual leaders focused on forging a resilient, low carbon urban future, and will take place this year in Mexico City from November 30 to December 2, 2016. Additionally, winners of the annual 2016 C40 Cities Awards – which recognizes excellence in urban sustainability – will be announced alongside the Summit at a ceremony on the evening of December 1.
Speakers will include more than 30 mayors from the world’s largest and most influential cities; business leaders of Fortune 500 companies; elected officials at all levels of government; prominent NGO leaders; internationally-renowned climate experts; and celebrity activists.
Also at the Summit, current C40 Chair and Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes will officially hand over the role to C40 Chair-elect and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, who will be the first woman chair of the organization.
Mayors hosting the Summit include:
- Hidalgo, Anne – C40 Chair-Elect & Mayor of Paris
- Paes, Eduardo – C40 Chair & Mayor of Rio de Janeiro
- Mancera, Miguel Ángel – C40 Vice Chair & Mayor of Mexico City
Mayors participating in the Summit include:
- Amman – Mayor Biltaji
- Athens – Mayor Kaminis
- Austin – Mayor Adler
- Beijing – Deputy Mayor
- Buenos Aires – Mayor Rodriguez-Larreta
- Cape Town – Mayor de Lille
- Caracas – Mayor de Fernandez
- Copenhagen – Lord Mayor Jensen
- Curitiba – Mayor Gustavo Fruet
- Dalian – Deputy Mayor
- Dhaka South City Corporation – Mayoral level
- Dubai – Samara Rais, Deputy Mayor equivalent
- Hong Kong – Honorable Wong
- Jakarta – Deputy Governor Mungkasa
- Karachi – Deputy Mayor Dr Arshad Vohra
- Lagos – Governor Ambode
- Lima – Mayor Luis Castañeda Lossio
- London – Deputy Mayor Shirley Rodrigues
- Los Angeles – Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Madrid – Mayor Carmena
- Montreal – Mayor Coderre
- Nanjing – Deputy Mayor
- Oslo – Governing Mayor Johansen
- Portland – Mayor Hales
- Rotterdam – Mayor Aboutaleb
- San José – Mayor Johnny Araya Monge
- Seattle – Mayor Murray
- Seville- Mayor Juan Espadas
- Shenzhen – Deputy Mayor
- Vancouver – Mayor Gregor Robertson
- Wuhan – Mayoral level
Speakers headlining the 2016 Summit include:
- Bloomberg, Michael R., C40 President of the Board, U.N. Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change and 108th Mayor of New York City
- Doctoroff, Daniel L. – CEO, Sidewalk Labs
- Espinosa, Patricia – Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- Fam, Hany A. – Executive Vice President, Mastercard Enterprise Partnerships
- Figueres, Christiana – Former Secretary General UNFCCC
- Hauc, Vanessa – Reporter and co-presenter, Telemundo
- Ishii, Naoko – CEO and Chairperson, Global Environment Facility (GEF)
- Lovins, Amory – Physicist and Chairman/Chief Scientist of the Rocky Mountain Institute.
- Lund, Niels – Vice President for Health Advocacy, Novo Nordisk
- McHale, Brandee – President of the Citi Foundation and Director of Corporate Citizenship at Citi
- Sadik-Khan, Janette – Principal, Bloomberg Associates and Former Commissioner of the NYC Department of Transportation
- Steer, Andrew – President and CEO, World Resources Institute (WRI)
- Topping, Nigel – CEO, We Mean Business
- Williams, Antha – Environment Program Lead, Bloomberg Philanthropies
For the most up-to-date list of speakers and details about the programme, please refer to the C40 Mayors Summit website: https://mayorssummit2016.c40.org/.
Follow along on social media with #Cities4Climate.
Read the press release here.