About this sector
Transportation is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions and accounts for 27% of global emissions. Traffic is the number one source of air pollution globally, and 9 out of 10 people live with unhealthy levels of air pollution, according to the World Health Organization. Transforming the transport sector is incredibly urgent and has the potential to be highly impactful.
Mayors around the world are committed to making their cities greener, healthier and more prosperous places to live. They are working to make city streets and neighborhoods walkable, safe and accessible for everybody and clean the air we breathe.
C40’s transport teams work with cities and mayors to implement and scale up innovative and ambitious transport solutions.
High impact actions in this sector include:
- Making transit, walking and cycling the preferred option for more trips
- Implementing restrictions on high polluting vehicles in a significant part of a city
- Signalling the end of petrol and diesel powered cars and trucks by promoting the use of zero emission alternatives
Each electric vehicle that displaces a conventional car saves approximately 1.5 tons of CO2 per year which represents a 62% reduction compared to a petrol-powered car and a 53% reduction compared to a diesel-powered car.
Networks & Programmes
- GPC inventories, October 2021.
- 25% of urban ambient air pollution from PM2.5 is contributed by traffic. Science Direct, 2015.