There is no space for fossil fuels – especially coal – in our energy systems.
Cities know that to power sustainable, equitable, and vibrant communities and achieve a just transition that leaves no one behind, they need to adopt a new energy system – one that creates local jobs, reduces air pollution, improves public health, strengthens resilience and enables universal energy access.
On 22 September 2021 – as a part of Climate Week NYC 2021 – C40 hosted “The Urban Energy Transition: Powering green and just cities for the 21st century”, bringing together mayors from around the world, climate and energy specialists, global finance experts, business leaders and youth climate activists to showcase the coalition of stakeholders working together to accelerate the transition to clean energy in C40 cities and beyond.
We heard opening remarks from:
- Eric Garcetti, C40 Chair (at time of event), Mayor of Los Angeles
- Helen Clarkson, CEO, Climate Group
- Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy
Panels and conversations covered the following topics:
- Harnessing the power of renewable energy to transform our cities
- How we build people-powered cities
- Investing in a fair and just energy transition