Meet C40 Chair, Mayor of Los Angeles Eric Garcetti
Mayor of Los Angeles Eric Garcetti became Chair of C40 at the C40 World Mayors Summit in Copenhagen in 2019, where he launched a Global Green New Deal alongside a coalition including youth climate activists and representatives from labour unions, the business community and civil society.
As C40 Chair, Mayor Garcetti has played an instrumental role in securing firm commitments from cities to halve global emissions by 2030, on the path to net zero by 2050, a commitment that has been adopted as a global standard by leading nations and international institutions.
We are entering a make-or-break decade for the preservation of our planet and environmental justice for every community — and I am proud to chair C40 Cities at this critical moment. Together we will continue leading the drive to protect the world and promote a better, more equitable life for everyone living in it.– Mayor Eric Garcetti at the 2019 C40 World Mayors Summit in Copenhagen
During his tenure as Chair, Mayor Garcetti has also:
- Established the framework for a Global Green New Deal, a concept embraced by a broad coalition of cities, youth activists, labour, business & civil society dedicated to protecting our environment, strengthening our economies and building a future that works for everyone.
- Established the global Mayoral Task Force for a Green and Just Recovery from COVID-19 that recognizes that the climate and public health crises are intrinsically linked & places equity at the heart of the recovery.
- Advocated for equitable access to vaccines for everyone who needs them, and holding C40 as an organisation accountable for its progress on diversity, inclusion & anti-racism.
- Recruited 700+ cities to the Cities Race to Zero, the UN-backed global campaign rallying companies, cities, regions, financial & educational institutions to deliver a healthier, fairer zero-carbon future.
More about Mayor Garcetti
Eric Garcetti is a fourth-generation Angeleno and the 42nd Mayor of Los Angeles. The son of public servants and the grandson and great-grandson of immigrants from Mexico and Eastern Europe, Mayor Garcetti’s life has been shaped by a deep commitment to the core values of justice, dignity, and equality for all people. The Mayor’s government service began on the L.A. City Council, where he spent four terms as Council President before being elected Mayor in 2013 and winning re-election in 2017 by the widest margin in the history of Los Angeles. Beyond his time at City Hall, Mayor Garcetti has served his country as an intelligence officer in the United States Navy Reserve, and taught at the University of Southern California and Occidental College. The Mayor received his B.A. and M.A. from Columbia University, and studied as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University, and later at the London School of Economics. He is also a jazz pianist and photographer. He and his wife, First Lady Amy Elaine Wakeland, are the proud parents of a daughter, Maya, and have been foster parents for more than a decade.
About the C40 Chair
As the elected leader of the C40 organisation, the Chair plays a key role in raising the bar on climate ambition around the world and advocating for the role of cities in addressing the climate crisis.
This rotating position has been held to date by the following C40 mayors:
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (2019 – present)
- Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo (2016-2019)
- Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes (2013-2016)
- New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (2010-2013)
- Toronto Mayor David Miller (2008-2010)
- London Mayor Ken Livingstone (2005-2008)