Impact of flooding C40 cities’ healthcare systems
- By 2050, more than 2,400 hospitals and healthcare facilities in C40 cities could be overwhelmed by flooding.
- 45% of those healthcare facilities at risk are located in India.
Solutions for cities
- Incorporate climate risk into urban planning, for example, by limiting the construction of hospitals and other critical infrastructure in high-risk areas.
- Flood-proof hospitals to protect against sea-level rise, coastal storms and inland flooding.
- Improve critical system efficiency to build resilience, such as investing in backup energy generators.